I’m a little OCD when it comes to packing and prepping for a trip. I’m a planner; I can’t help it! A few weeks ago I went to Vegas for three days and I promised I would share some of my traveling and packing tips and tricks.
Here we go:
1) Always travel with people who make you laugh! We’ve all been on trips with people who don’t travel easily. I make it point to be a flexible flyer. If everyone is checking luggage, I check my luggage. If my travel partners are carrying on their bags, I carry on, as well. It is so much easier to go with the flow. If I travel with someone who is difficult, I don’t travel with them again.
2) A week before the trip, I start putting things I am going to bring on the trip in my guest room and hang up clothing options in the doorway. This works especially well with items I know I won’t be wearing in real life. I also put my suitcase, my toiletries bag, etc in the guest room as well. I use this room as a staging area and it’s really nice to have a place to spread out all my choices.
3) I use Eagle Creek packing cubes to organize my clothes in my suitcase. I bought them at the Container Store during their annual travel sale. I have cubes for:
Swimsuits and coverups
Bras and underwear
The cubes keep everything separate and easy to find. If you like to be organized, these cubes are a great investment. I keep them in my suitcase so they are ready when needed.
4) I also use a laundry bag for my dirty clothes and shoe bags to keep my shoes from getting my clothes dirty. I bought my bags from Flight 101 . The laundry bag is essential because I never want my dirty clothes to touch my clean clothes. These bags were completely worth the money spent. I keep them with all my travel supplies so they are ready to pack at a moments notice.
5) I keep my toiletries bag stocked at all times so I don’t have to think about what I need. I always have sample sized products ready to go. I have duplicates of all make up products, so I keep a separate make up bag that goes between my gym bag and suitcase. It’s nice to have these bags stocked and ready go!
6) I used to pride myself on packing the smallest suitcase, but then I realized that resulted in a heavy carry on bag. Now, I’m not afraid to use a larger suitcase if it means I don’t have a ton of stuff in my carry on. Lugging a heavy carry on around the airport is the worst. Only carry on the essentials!
I hope you find these tips helpful!
Homework: What is your best packing tip?